Sunday, July 31, 2011

...If Only in My Dreams!

Christmas came early this year for me.  I was left at the North Pole (North Pole, Colorado. Santa's town that is.) It was July 27, 2011, 97 degrees, not a snowball in sight, yet there I was sitting under a string of worn Christmas lights, dangling above my head with the endless droning of Perry Como's rendition of I'll be home for Christmas.  I realized that he was right, if only in my dreams.  See, my friends left me stranded here (not because I was scared to climb the peak or nothin) while they climbed the 19 mile stretch to the Summit of Pikes Peak, at an average 5 miles per hour.  NOBODY TOLD ME IT WAS 19 MILES UP and 19 MILES DOWN!  And NOBODY TOLD ME I would be stuck at Santa's Town for hours and hours and hours.
After the first hour, the NO LOITERING sign was pointed out to me by the friendly elf behind the cash register as I strolled around and around Santa's workshop.  I was directed to a small bench outside, so I plopped down and began my long wait.  A storm had approached and I watched as lightening crashed down from the mountain.  *I waited!*  I listened while thunder boomed and shook the very soul of Santa Town. *I waited!*  Mothers grabbed their small children and ran to their vehicles to escape the storm.  Even the elves took shelter.  I had nowhere to go I just sat on my bench. T hey said they would come back for me,  ...that's what I told the people who looked at me pitifully. "Sure they will, sure they will!" they promised me.  The rain  pelted my body as the North Pole was ablast in natures fury *I waited!* 3 hours I waited..  many thoughts ran thru my head -- none of them good! Finally word came down from the mountain that nobody was allowed to leave the peak, not man nor beast , It was closed.  How could Santa be so cruel?  I had been so good this year too.  Well, Christmas came and went and my friends finally climbed down the mountain.  I asked Santa to please forgive me for the cursing, ranting and raving I did at his north pole, and that I really didn't mean the evil things I said about those who had left me behind.  He accepted my apology, and said he would not send me on the island of misfit toys, and he rewarded me with nice presents from the Peak by my three little elves who finally made it back!!!!!  Of course one of the little elves got an earful! ** Ho Ho Ho, MERRY CHRISTMAS!**
After the predicament on the Peak, we headed for St Louis.  Mare and Ed head off to hear the tales of Mark Twain, and we went see the town.  We met up with my ol pals from the Cleveland Clinic and talked about old times. It was great.  We also met my pal Joyce and her husband, and they took us all over to see the sights. We rode up to the top of the Arch. (This time I wasn't waiting behind, I learned my lesson). We hung out with the Clydesdale's, drank some samples of beer from Budweiser Brewing, and then down to Blue Berry Hill to visit Chuck Berry.  Later all of us met up and had a great time at a place called Sybergs and laughed and even did a few shots.. Yeah for us all across the table.
We said goodbye to our pals in St Louis and headed back with Mar and Ed on our tail winding and turning on the long treck home
As our trip winds to an end, I thank Mare and Ed and my friends I met up with along the way.  I will remember Route 66 rolling with us thru the miles, the views of the mountains, rivers, rolling hills and desert that stretched out before us.  I will remember the big cities and the little towns with the sounds of people or the silence of ghosts....But most of all I will remember the laughter, smiles, and all the fun we had.  Its been a great trip and finally.

YEAH FOR US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment