Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thanks for the Memories



Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. …Mark Twain


It was a blast but vacation time is over.  Janet, Bill and Ed went back to work, and it is almost time for me to go back to work.  We had many wonderful, exciting adventures, saw amazing vistas, and experienced an extraordinary bonding experience.  Acquaintances ask us what was the best thing we saw or did?  I really can’t say.  I think every single adventure was unsurpassed.  This trip just kept getting better and better with each passing day.  The Pfeils are great travelers and wonderful friends.  You just can’t have a better couple to travel with.                            
                                                   

              
 
The day we started for home my whole body went in to a panic.  I have a hard year ahead of me when I go back to work.   Everything about work has changed since last school year… principal, guidance counselor, superintendent, school psychologist, and a couple teachers….all new or gone when I return to work.  Two of my very good friends, and support system, Maria and Elaine, were moved from my school and placed in another school.  So I am looking at confusion, uncertainty, and disorder for a while, blended with my all ready hectic work pace.  On the return trip I texted my friend and co-worker, Peg, and asked her how she was doing.  Peg replied and said she was having nightmares every night.  So I guess I am not the only one feeling this apprehension.  I know all this stuff was on my mind since I left school back in June, and I tried hard not to let it bother me.  I’ve been through much worse stuff in my past.  But, you know you are in trouble when everyone you work with comes up to you and tells you that they are so sorry for your predicament………... Who makes these kinds of decisions that put so much strain on a person and brings on so much agitation?

 So, in the words of Mark Twain:  In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards---  
I may be fired for this remark.  Oh well, look how long ago those words were quoted and really… how true can this quote be…????!!!!!

            

 Subsequently I am going to ingrain this vacation, with all its wonderful memories, in my mind and whenever the stress and pressure of work comes upon me, I will recall the fun, laughter, and excitement of that magnificent time in my life when we went out west with the Pfeils. 





                         


Stu and Caroline…if you ever read this blog,..  I hope someday you will be able to get on that bike of yours and travel to the Grand Canyon and have as much fun as we did there.  But do it in May or September…


                           

                                                                                                  


                                    

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
A more poignant note:

To my friend, Terri, and my wonderful Godmother, Aunt Kay, who just recently dealt with the death of their spouses and to whom I dedicated this trip…….I wish them the very best….  How does life go on when you lose your best friend?  I don’t ever want to know.  For you I have a little song lyric to ponder from Carly Simon and Tesse Gohl.

I've been doing a lot of thinking
About growing older and moving on
No one wants to be told that they're getting on
And maybe going away
For a long, long stay

But just how long and who knows
And how and where will my spirit go
Will it soar like jazz on a saxophone
Or evaporate on a breeze
Won't you tell me please

That life is eternal
And love is immortal
And death is only a horizon
Life is eternal
As we move into the light
And a horizon is nothing
Save the limit of our sight
Save the limit of our sight

Here on earth I'm a lost soul
Ever trying to find my way back home
Maybe that's why each new star is born
Expanding heaven's room
Eternity in bloom

And will I see you up in that heaven
In all its light will I know you there
Will we say the things that we never dared
If wishing makes it so
Won't you let me know

That life is eternal
And love is immortal
And death is only a horizon
Life is eternal
As we move into the light
And a horizon is nothing
Save the limit of our sight
Save the limit of our sight






….Thanks for the memories…


                                                               …. so long good friends…until we meet again…



I want to give a great big thank you to my daughter, Marie, for all her help with this blog.  I couldn’t have done this without you.  Thanks Rie.  Love you…

No comments:

Post a Comment